6.7.09

Alhambra Farmers Market Sunday Report

Los Angeles farmers market-goers are never short of fresh fruit, produce, and these days, protein, bread, and tamales. I rarely miss the opportunity to find out what’s in season. Cooking with Jamie means cooking with the same type of farm-fresh, local ingredients. Jamie is always cooking from his garden and since my garden is limited to a small potted mint plant, I’ve had to familiarize myself with nearby markets for herbs, greens, and other seasonal loot.

One of my favorite locations to shop at is the Alhambra Farmer’s Market, which is located deep in the armpit of the San Gabriel Valley, on the corner of Chapel and Main. My family and I have been shopping here since the early 90s. And while it’s not as fancy as the Hollywood market, it’s definitely got its own charm. There are two vendors that exclusively sell Asian-y produce like lemongrass, robust, rare greens, and juicy-looking bitter melons. You just have to watch out for the cute but feisty Asian grandmothers clamoring about (usually right by your ear!).

Here are some photos:

IMG_2985
various Asian greens

IMG_2983
peppers

IMG_2984
Snow White bok choy sprout and Taiwanese “A” choy

IMG_2982
jumbo leeks, yellow and red beets

IMG_2981
cauliflower


Just signed up for the South Central CSA. I’m looking forward to finding out what my next box will bring! And will be working through Jamie’s glossaries in order to find out dishes will evolve from my grab bag-er-box of goodies…

1 comment:

  1. man.. Alhambra as the ARM PIT of San Gabriel Valley? Vs. say.. Duarte, Glendora, Azusa? It ain't New Jersey and it is the city with the most Asian restaurant activity in the entire country. Have some pride?

    ReplyDelete