20.7.09

FARMERS MARKET REPORT

This past weekend, my friend Robert and I went to the Santa Monica Farmers Market to do some shopping. Well, I shopped and he played with his camera. The trip was such a success, meaning such a money-suck, that I will be doing group trips to the local farmers market every Sunday starting from now on. So if you are interested and in the Los Angeles area, give me a holler. We can ooh and ahh over the season's bests together.

138_3847
Watermelon salad, anyone?

138_3854
Stone fruit du jour. Picturesque white peaches. Truly.

138_3853
Bounty for my soon-to-be assembled farro salad.

138_3863
I wasn't at Scarborough Fair. I was at the Santa Monica Farmer's Market.

138_3849
Aubergines or eggplants, call em what you will. They taste great grilled, steamed, sauteéd, raw, how-eva you like them.

138_3862
Pretzel roll, not doing a yoga pose but kind of just being round and plump and delicious.

138_3850
Peep show.

138_3873
Ever seen Twins with Arnold Schwarzenegger and Danny Devito? This is the tomato version.

138_3851
Thank you and good night.

While I was mostly impressed with the market's offerings, I was disappointed by the lack of essential ingredients like ginger, garlic, shallots, and red chilies. There was definitely an emphasis on fruit; tables of various stone and citrus fruits were on display. I did pick up an interesting cabbage/radish hybrid called the raphanobrassica. The vendor suggested that I shave it into salads. I think I might include it in my highly-anticipated farro salad with roasted vegetables, via jamieoliver.com.



images courtesy of Robert Festino


LOCATED

Santa Monica Farmers Market
1901 Main St # 2
Santa Monica, CA 90405-1082
(310) 458-8712

No comments:

Post a Comment