30.6.09

IMG_3041
Aloo Gobhi on its way to the oven for some quick braising. The cauliflower and potatoes have to get soft, but still firm to bite.

Before I continue my long-winded story of how the Chicken Tikka Masala came to fruition, I’d like to discuss the Aloo Gobhi that was also whipped up the same night. Initially I was hesitant to try my hand at not one but TWO unfamiliar recipes on a school night. But what better way to challenge myself than to cook an Indian feast in someone else’s kitchen?

And a challenge it was. Aloo Gobi is one of my favorite things to eat. It’s filling, flavorful, and the bright yellow hue (thanks to the turmeric) is mesmerizing. I’ve had the “pleasure” of getting this yellow hue on my white pants. But no pain, no gain right? Jamie’s recipe for Aloo Gobi looked easy enough; throw some cauliflower and potatoes together with some spices and ginger, and there you have it–a delicious vegetarian-friendly dish. I was especially excited about the lemon that gets juiced over before serving. Nothing like a little acid to complete a dish.

The only thing that threw me off about this dish was the shredded coconut that gets added. From my research online, here and here, coconut doesn’t usually make any appearances in this dish. So with some more sleuthing, I found out that Anglo-Indian cuisine is it’s own culinary category. Apparently, almonds and coconut are often added to Indian food in the UK.

Would this be like dipping my French fries in Ranch dressing?


IMG_3025
I felt like the “Take Home Chef”, packing all my spices to go.

IMG_3024
Farmer’s market-fresh cauliflower.

IMG_3027
Trader Joe’s-fresh potatoes; I decided to throw in a purple one for some color.

IMG_3040
Like with most Indian dishes, the spices get cooked until fragrant. In mandarin, this is what is called “Bao Xiang”, or frangrance + explosion.

COOKED FROM

1 comment:

  1. I also found the coconut addition a bit odd, but in the end I didn't even taste it.

    ReplyDelete