25.6.09

IMG_2945

Saturday morning, I woke up to June gloom. I love the weird Southern California dreariness right now because it reminds me of Portland/San Francisco/London- weather. And this in turn, inspired me to make a hearty breakfast to kick off my weekend.

My quest to use leftover produce ensued. Loosely inspired by Jamie’s Asparagus Frittata, I decided to make a veggie frittata in my cast iron skillet.

I dug around the fridge and not only did I find asparagus sans tips, but I found zucchini and a ton of herbs and leeks. Nothing like a leeky, herby, vegetable frittata! I contemplated throwing in strips of bacon but luckily for my arteries, I was out. SIDENOTE: My colleagues and I were discussing the top 10 ingredients to save a foul dish with and bacon was one of them–along with red pepper flakes, lemon juice, salt…etc.

I sautéed the leeks with the vegetables in a knob of butter until the leeks began to brown, seasoned the stir-fry with salt and pepper, and poured in the salted, whisked eggs (I used 6). And before I placed everything in the preheated oven, I sprinkled a bunch of parsley and chives on top. The skillet went in the oven and 15 minutes later, breakfast was ready. My roommate and I enjoyed the frittata together and for just a second, I felt like I was somewhere in the Italian countryside.

And then I heard Lil Wayne outside of my window.

No comments:

Post a Comment